Bariatric Sleeve & Bypass Surgery and Weight Loss Surgery Thailand
weight loss surgery Thailand, bariatric surgery Thailand, sleeve gastrectomy Thailand,
Laparoscopic bariatric surgery is a minimally invasive operation that reduces the stomach capacity to a very small volume and helps a person to lose weight. The most commonly performed laparoscopic bariatric operations are the Intragastric Balloon (Balloon), Laparoscopic Gastric Banding (Lap Band), the Laparoscopic Gastric Sleeve (Sleeve) and Laparoscopic Roux En Y Bypass (Bypass) operations.
1. Intragastric Balloon.. The Spatz adjustable Balloon
* is relatively new, non-invasive bariatric procedure developed to “bridge the gap” between diet and exercise weight loss program and other complicated bariatric procedure. Balloon will be inserted through your mouth while you sleep (light sedation is used to ensure smooth procedure and it is NOT general anesthesia). Then, Balloon will be inflated with saline solution (salt water). Patient will return to home on the same day. One or two day off work is optional.
Balloon will be placed for 12 months and will be removed, according to the FDA’s guideline.
( * Spatz adjustable balloon, Spatz FGIA Inc, USA)
2. Laparoscopic Sleeve Gastrectomy
The surgeon will removed 75-80% of the stomach. The remaining stomach is a tubular pouch that resembles a banana. Sleeve gastrectomy is a relatively new but has gained popularity because of its low complication rate and good weight loss results. Almost 42 percent of all bariatric surgeries performed in the United States in 2013 were Sleeve gastrectomies, which make it the most popular weight loss surgery.
How does Sleeve gastrectomy work and it benefits?
- The new stomach pouch holds considerably less than the normal stomach and helps to reduce the amount of food you can eat.
- It reduces a gut hormone that helps you feel less hungry. This is the main difference between Sleeve Gastrectomy and Lap Band.
- Similar weight loss to Roux-En-Y bypass
- Lower complication rate than Banding and bypass
- Lower chance of nutritional deficiency.
Our unique techniques to ensure 0% leakage rate
- Use “gold standard” of staple equipment to ensure 0% defect. Surgical staplers and stapling products from Covidien (Made in USA) enable surgeons to handle the broadest range of tissues and applications with outstanding clinical performance. The robot stapler are now being used at our center to offer the more precise cut and maintain our 0% leak rate.
2. Rather than finish the operation after the staplers are used. Our surgeons then push the staple line in and laparoscopically sew the stomach upon itself, thus creating an additional layer of strength. This requires more surgical time and resources but with more benefits: more strength, reduce the size of stomach for additional 5% and prevention o stomach dilation months after the Sleeve.
3. At the end, we additionally use TISSEEL
TISSEEL is a fibrin sealant indicated as an adjunct to standard surgical techniques (such as suture and ligasure) to prevent leakage from colonic anastomoses following the reversal of temporary colostomies
3. The Laparoscopic Gastric Bypass operation (also called Laparoscopic Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass)
The Laparoscopic Gastric Bypass operation (also called Laparoscopic Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass) is considered the standard operation in bariatric surgery. It is performed by laparoscopic technique. Stapling instruments are used to construct a new tiny stomach pouch (about 15-30 ml), which is connected to the small intestine, bypassing the rest of the stomach (see details of the operation). Because it is minimally invasive, incisional pain is usually minimal. Bypass is greatly recommend for obese patient with diabetic. Diabetic will be cured in most case due to hormonal change effect after the procedure.
Two type of facilities are being offered for weight loss surgery Thailand at this moment: a public and a private hospital with a different cost to meet the different need of the patients.
Waiting Time for surgery and Stay
We usually perform the weight loss surgery with 2-4 weeks waiting time. For Sleeve and Bypass the patient will be admitted into the hospital one day before for preparation. After 1-2 days of the surgery, the leakage x-ray test will be performed before you can start to sip water and will be released from the hospital. Total hospital stay for weight loss surgery is around 3-5 nights. No hospital stay for Balloon.
Cost of weight loss surgery Thailand :
Please email [email protected] for the accurate quote.
Why choose the Rattinan Clinic in Thailand?
In some cases, if the surgeon is inexperience, the patient may encounter leaks from the cut edge of the stomach or sleeve stenosis. Some may vomit after eating.
Our surgeon, Dr. Panot Yimcharoen has already performed more than 500 cases of bariatric surgeries at Rattinan Clinic alone. Currently he also holds positions as consultant surgeon at Thai government hospital and other JCI private hospitals in Thailand.
Meanwhile, our anesthesiologist Dr. Suchada Prapruettham has done more than 40 gastric surgery cases per year.
Dr.PANOT YIMCHAROEN – SURGEON
- M.D., Faculty of Medicine, Phramongkutklao Hospital, Mahidol University, Thailand 1994
- Diplomate, Thai Board of Surgery, 1998
- ERCP, Indiana University School of Medicine, USA 2004
- Bariatric and Metabolic, Cleveland Clinic Education Foundation, Ohio, USA, 2009
Currently holds positions as consultant surgeon at Bumrungrad International Hospital, Piyavate Hospital, and Bhumibol Air Force Hospital.
DR. SUCHADA PRAPRUETTHAM – ANESTHESIOLOGIST
- M.D., Faculty of Medicine Siriraj Hospital, Mahidol University, Thailand, 2002
- Anesthesia Residency, Department of Anesthesiology, Chulalongkorn University, Thailand, 2009
- Research Fellow, Neuroanesthesiology Fellowship of the Department of Anesthesiology & Pain Medicine, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington, USA, 2013
SPECIAL CLINIC INTERESTS
- Anesthesia for bariatric surgery (experience ~40 sleeve gastrectomy per year from 2016 – present, Maximum BMI 60 kg/m2)