What is Otoplasty or Ear Pinning?
Otoplasty is a cosmetic procedure designed to enhance the appearance of the ears. The procedure typically involves the removal of cartilage and skin and the pinning back of the ears, reducing their size. People who have ears sticking out are often self-conscious about them, always covering their protruding ears with long hair or hairstyles that can help cover the ears. Those who are bothered by how far their ears stick out often seek out Otoplasty. To learn more about this popular procedure, contact Rattinan Clinic today and schedule a consultation!
Otoplasty can be done at any age once the ears have reached their full size. Typically, the procedure is done on both ears to optimize symmetry.
Here at Rattinan Clinic, Otoplasty is skillfully performed with the use of local anesthetic. Procedures are carried out in outpatient visits and do not require any hospitalization.
The procedure duration time is typically 1-2 hours.
Possible Surgery Risks:
• Scarring behind the ears
• Asymmetry in ear placement
• Change in skin sensation
• Problems with stitches
• Bleeding (hematoma)
• Blood clots
• Poor wound healing
• Skin contour irregularities
• Skin discoloration/swelling
• Anesthesia risks
• Allergies to tape, suture materials, glues, blood products, topical preparations, or injected agents
• Pain, which may persist
• Possibility of revision surgery
Preparation for Surgery:
At Rattinan Clinic, you can come in for an initial consultation to have a discussion with our plastic surgeon Dr. Surinnart Charoenchitt about your concerns and expectations in having the surgery. Our surgeon can also do a consultation and procedure on the same visit.
During the consultation, the doctor will discuss the following:
• A review of your medical history, evaluating your general health status and any pre-existing health conditions or risk factors, drug allergies, etc., as well as the use of current medications, vitamins, herbal supplements, alcohol, tobacco, and drugs
• Do a physical examination
• Take photographs for your medical record
• Discuss your options and recommend a course of treatment
• Discuss likely outcomes of ear surgery and any risks or potential complications
If the doctor determines that you are a good candidate for Otoplasty, he will recommend the next steps for surgery preparation, which include:
• Avoid taking aspirin or certain anti-inflammatory drugs and herbal supplements, which can increase the risk of bleeding
• Stop drinking alcohol and smoking before surgery, as it can slow down the healing process
Understanding all of the important details about the procedure can result in a better outcome, so do not be scared to ask your surgeon the necessary information you think is important for you to know. Before surgery, it is normal to feel nervous or anxious because of anticipation or excitement for your new look or maybe because of the intraoperative risk. Do not be shy to tell your surgeon how you feel about your upcoming surgery.
Post-Operation Care Instructions:
• A bandage or head wrap will be applied around the incision to cover it for 3-4 days. After that, it will change into a sports headband and be used for another 1 month.
• You will be given medications with instructions to help in healing and reduce potential infections.
• If you develop a rash or have an allergic reaction to the medication, please call the clinic immediately.
• When bathing, make sure to pat the incision area dry. There should be no soaking or swimming for at least 1 week or until the incision is fully healed to minimize the risk of infections.
• Schedule an appointment for changing the wound dressing if it cannot be done by yourself.
• Clean the incisions at home once a day. Wipe the incision gently with Betadine and the surrounding skin with alcohol. Do not apply alcohol over the incision directly. Afterward, put on water-resistant Band-Aids before the shower.
• Schedule a follow-up checkup when it’s time to remove the stitches.
• You may start applying scar creams to the incisions after the stitches comes off, if the incision line looks good and there are no open wounds or scabs.
To get all the facts about Otoplasty, including your candidacy for it, contact us today at Rattinan Clinic and schedule a consultation at our office in Soi Phiphat, Silom, Bang Rak. We look forward to hearing from you!